Skip to main content

A Cheery Update

You may remember that around the start of January, my dear acquaintance Charity was life flighted to the Cleveland Clinic's ICU to await a set of lungs for a second double lung transplant, and I was rather beside myself. At the end of January they found a perfect match (God bless, forever and ever, the family that allowed their tragedy to be someone else's miracle) and I'm happy to say that yesterday, after three months in the hospital, My Friend the Opera Singer walked out of the hospital and gets to go back home, to live, to continue the long recovery, and to continue spreading her sunshine.

Congratulations, Charity! Our interaction at the Committee was brief, but your example and your kindness have stayed with me. Best of luck with your new lease on life <3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tidings of Comfort, Victory, and GIVEAWAYS!!!!!

1.  My Cranberry pie finally won!  After a tragic finish at an ugly sweater party, and being overshadowed by the chocolate pecan pie at Thanksgiving, my Nantucket Cranberry Pie (which I took to the next level with a chocolate cream cheese icing)  got first place at the office holiday party Top Chef competition. I am happy. 2.  I also coincidentally won a caption contest on my favorite horse blog, and for my witty mockery was awarded a gift certificate for horse tack!  As I currently don't have a horse of my own, I'm giving it to Camp K.  I hope my mother and her 3 horses, 2 mules and 2 donkeys forgive me.  But I'm still claiming victory on that one, and relishing in being mentioned on my favorite blog in the same post as my international heroes. 3. GIVEAWAY!!!!  I was inspired by a number of blogs giving away x-boxes, TVs, designer handbags, and gift cards to the moon, but I decided that you don't actually need to be rich to share the lo...

TwelveTwelveTwelve (And Night 5)

I wasn't paying attention when the clock changed. I was deep in the photos and conversation threads on Ancestry and JewishGen when the twelve o'clock hour rolled by. The number is a beautiful one, a rare one, but it's more than 12/12/12 to me today. It's the fifth night of Hanukkah. Every year, the silver menorah of partly lit candles remind me that one-eighth of me is connected to thousands of years of stories about one group of people. FYI: This is not a post about Israel and Palestine. Lucky you. It is about my search to find my family.  The man that connects me to all this, my biological grandfather, was not a part of my life, and his own life was complicated. I can't do anything in my life to reconcile that. I can't do anything to connect to him or to understand him, and I don't know that I would want to if I could.  It's funny then that it's him that connects me to this story of the Jews, this story that I want so badly to know, to und...