Skip to main content

A Balanced Life

Picking up the Copperpot on paint day at school (note the purple hair!)

After coming back to work part time a month after I had the Copperpot, I was exhausted, shell shocked, and hyper aware of how tiny my baby still was. I couldn't fathom leaving her in anyone's arms but her grandmothers, and I was extremely lucky that those women took on that task so willingly in those early months to allow me to go back to work and try and figure things out. 

When the maternity leave ran out and my baby was still tiny, despite the huge decision ahead of me, it wasn't even a decision. I couldn't send my newborn to a giant daycare. Or a babysitter. That's not to say that I think women who do are less good mothers - in fact, I think they're 100 times stronger and braver than I will ever be. 

So I decided to quit my office job and pursue my side project of freelance writing as full time as time would allow while still being home with the critter. In just a few months, freelancing turned to part time editing, part time editing turned into full time editing, and full time editing turned into running a much bigger chunk of a company than was tenable for me. 

Even when the Copperpot was old enough to go to a wonderful nearby daycare and I could work full time with less distractions, I still found myself working 50 hours or more a week, and this time, the decision about what to do was much more painful. 

Ultimately, I left behind years of work at a company I loved to seek some internal balance. I now work part time at my alma mater again for wonderful people, and that's a good fit for the moment. 

What this foray into a full-time writing career afforded me was twofold: I was able to be home for two years with my daughter when she really truly needed me the most, and I was able to maintain an identity that was deeply important to me at a time when motherhood can feel all-consuming. I treasure those years and that experience, and that my company entrusted me with so much. 

As for what's next, I feel like I'm in a complicated rest stop. I'm letting myself sleep in for the first time in 2.5 years (and by that I mean waking up at 7.) I've let myself indulge in all sorts of hobbies that fell to the wayside while I was constantly writing, reviewing books, answering emails, covering events. I'm knitting, reading, biking, seeing movies, and enjoying cooking again. And look, writing for myself again! 

I don't know what the next stage looks like, but I'm actively contemplating it. I'm grateful for this safe rest point, and eager to see what identity awaits me next. 

In the meantime, I hope to write here again about all the things I've fallen in love with in the past 18 months since I last wrote: The west side of Salt Lake, Mexico City, the books I'm reading, and the amazing food, shops, people, and organizations I'm encountering since we moved. 

In the words of Lin Manuel Miranda, "Welcome to this life. It's a Sizzler's. It's whatever you can fit on your tray. And there's pudding the salad bar. Let's go."

Thanks for coming to Sizzler's with me, y'all. I've missed you.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tidings of Comfort, Victory, and GIVEAWAYS!!!!!

1.  My Cranberry pie finally won!  After a tragic finish at an ugly sweater party, and being overshadowed by the chocolate pecan pie at Thanksgiving, my Nantucket Cranberry Pie (which I took to the next level with a chocolate cream cheese icing)  got first place at the office holiday party Top Chef competition. I am happy. 2.  I also coincidentally won a caption contest on my favorite horse blog, and for my witty mockery was awarded a gift certificate for horse tack!  As I currently don't have a horse of my own, I'm giving it to Camp K.  I hope my mother and her 3 horses, 2 mules and 2 donkeys forgive me.  But I'm still claiming victory on that one, and relishing in being mentioned on my favorite blog in the same post as my international heroes. 3. GIVEAWAY!!!!  I was inspired by a number of blogs giving away x-boxes, TVs, designer handbags, and gift cards to the moon, but I decided that you don't actually need to be rich to share the love.  Therefore, I am announc

MotherMare

There is no getting around it: I was indoctrinated at a very young age. I was the baby, and I was the last chance mom had for early imprinting of equine addition (EIEA, pronounced EEEAAAAHHHH!!!) Some people say that it's something you grow into or learn- that it can be cured, that it's a temptation or a lifestyle.  While my mother's imprinting certainly aided the illness, I can't help but feel that somehow, in someway, I was born this way.   Ergo, my equine birthday tribute to my equine mother- the best kind of tribute.     Mom, this shirt is wildly awesome, and if you still own it, you should still wear it. I think I have that hat now. Let me know when you want it back.  Little did you know then that I would steal the hat right off your head, did you?  Also, you look exactly the same. Gorgeous-like.  (also, don't be embarrassed, because I am totally about to embarrass me too, and then we're even.)   The horse that started it all. Mom won't mind that s