Skip to main content

Renequussance

My horse juice has been in 100% full gear mode for about a month now.  I'll give you a hint: It's probably better than beer.  What you need to know is this: The Universe is trying to tell me something.

After 4 years of living in Salt Lake in College, the only time that I ever went riding was when I went home to Sanpete County to ride the solid paint horse, Duke, that my parents had for awhile.  He was an awesome horse who got me back on my feet after the trauma of Starr and a couple safe but jarring tumbles off my mom's wonderful but rambunctious gelding, Ralphy.  So for that, Dukers, thank you.

Duke:

But never, in the 4 years I was here, did anyone ever offer me a horse to ride. 

Then I go to Virginia, I lease this amazing horse Murphy. All Murphy and I do for 2 or 3 times a week for 2 solid months is trot and gallop up down and around Manassas Battlefield until we're both pooped. No agenda, no fear, just good solid fun.  Something about that time changed me forever because now, nothing holds my attention like that memory. Except maybe the fantasy of doing more of that, forever.

looking between murphy's ears and out over Manassas:


And then right before I moved to California,  (as in, after my last day of work and mere hours before I was supposed to start driving across the country) I got a call from a world famous barn in Maryland that wanted me to come be a paid working student. Essentially, my dream job. They even once had Gem Twist, my favorite Breyer and real life horse, come and do a jumping demo there once. It was fate. One of their only requirements was that I not have a serious boyfriend or any plans to get married in the next year (they understandably want their students completely focused on the work and training).  I laughed.

I'm laughing now too. 

I didn't take the job, and I wasn't sure at the time why I wasn't.  I was positive that I had just blown my shot at the very thing I'd always wanted most. (I try really hard to convince myself that international politics interest me as much as what your horse's "road apples" tells you about their overall health and foraging techniques, but I'm so so so sorry to say that I don't.  It's so sad.)  And then I moved to California and then to Utah, and got married to awesome Dan, blah blah blah.  Cute. BUT WHAT ABOUT THE HORSES????

So here's the weird thing. After all those years of no one offering me anything, in the past month 2 close friends, a stranger, and a coworker have all offered me a place to ride/train/manage horses for free, or would actually give ME money to do it. 

Is there something you'd like to say, Universe? I'm all ears. 

Comments

Daniel T said…
I'm relieved you didn't take that job :)
Tiff said…
FABULOUS!! Fate...destiny! Awesome...that is what came to mind...so glad you didn't take that job either...we kinda like havin' you in the fam! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Tidings of Comfort, Victory, and GIVEAWAYS!!!!!

1.  My Cranberry pie finally won!  After a tragic finish at an ugly sweater party, and being overshadowed by the chocolate pecan pie at Thanksgiving, my Nantucket Cranberry Pie (which I took to the next level with a chocolate cream cheese icing)  got first place at the office holiday party Top Chef competition. I am happy. 2.  I also coincidentally won a caption contest on my favorite horse blog, and for my witty mockery was awarded a gift certificate for horse tack!  As I currently don't have a horse of my own, I'm giving it to Camp K.  I hope my mother and her 3 horses, 2 mules and 2 donkeys forgive me.  But I'm still claiming victory on that one, and relishing in being mentioned on my favorite blog in the same post as my international heroes. 3. GIVEAWAY!!!!  I was inspired by a number of blogs giving away x-boxes, TVs, designer handbags, and gift cards to the moon, but I decided that you don't actually need to be rich to share the love.  Therefore, I am announc

MotherMare

There is no getting around it: I was indoctrinated at a very young age. I was the baby, and I was the last chance mom had for early imprinting of equine addition (EIEA, pronounced EEEAAAAHHHH!!!) Some people say that it's something you grow into or learn- that it can be cured, that it's a temptation or a lifestyle.  While my mother's imprinting certainly aided the illness, I can't help but feel that somehow, in someway, I was born this way.   Ergo, my equine birthday tribute to my equine mother- the best kind of tribute.     Mom, this shirt is wildly awesome, and if you still own it, you should still wear it. I think I have that hat now. Let me know when you want it back.  Little did you know then that I would steal the hat right off your head, did you?  Also, you look exactly the same. Gorgeous-like.  (also, don't be embarrassed, because I am totally about to embarrass me too, and then we're even.)   The horse that started it all. Mom won't mind that s