Skip to main content

What's For Dinner?

I'm starting a new recurring section on my blog called "What's for Dinner" in which I tell you what is for dinner, and should you feel so inclined, how to make it. Be warned, I have no idea how to write a recipe, so let me know if I left out something critical.

Also, tomorrow I will post you a nice picture of how it looked. 

"How-To-Keep-a-Man Mediterranean Madness"
(a pita based dish that includes three fillings: curry chickpeas, poached lemon chicken, and cucumber yogurt)

This dish was originally prepared many times in Washington DC, but perfected last spring in order to prove to my 88 year old grandmother that, in her words "you know how to keep a man with a good hot meal." She, then-boyfriend-now-husband, all seemed equally satisfied. This recipe makes enough for 2 grown adults throwing caution to the wind and one old lady who still counts her calories- all of whom intended to leave room for dessert (lemon merengue pie, which I BOUGHT.)

Ingredients:

Curry Chickpeas-
1 can chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans)
1/2 can chicken broth
1/4 white onion, chopped
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
1 teaspoon corn starch
1 teaspoon yellow curry
1/4 cup cashews
Salt and Pepper to taste

Lemon chicken-
1/2 pound thinly sliced chicken breast
two fresh lemons
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp thyme
lemon pepper to taste (not mandatory, but nice)

Cucumber Yogurt-
1 cup greek yogurt, plain
1/3 tsp Dill
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1 cucumber finely chopped

For Chickpeas- mix corn starch and a minimal amount of chicken brother together in a small cup and let sit while you prepare the chickpeas.  drain chickpeas and add to small frying pan with olive oil, onions, and remaining 1/2 can of broth over medium heat. Add spices. let simmer about 2 or 3 minutes, and then add cornstarch mix.  continually stir over low heat for about 7-10 minutes until broth has thickened to a state of sauciness.  if it sasses you and then hits on you, it is properly saucy. If it calls you a dirty name and gets clumpy, you've gone too far. Crush cashews and add at the end.

For poached lemon chicken- slice chicken thinly and add to about 2 cups of boiling hot water.  squeeze in both lemons and add thyme, and let boil until done. drain and sprinkle on the lemon pepper to taste. I like this pretty simple because all the other flavors are so strong.

for cucumber yogurt- all you have to do for this is mix it all together, and let it chill in the fridge about 20 minutes so you're sure that the cucumber and dill make their presence known in the yogurt. If you've never had it, this yogurt is so refreshing and light, and not as evil to the diet as butter, mayo or a number of other moisture giving kitchen aids. You can also substitute low fat or no fat greek yogurt to make this extra waist-friendly, which we all know (and Gram says) is part of keeping a man.  yes, I am being facetious.

Pitas- I recommend whole wheat pitas, and also nuking them in the microwave for 20 seconds or so in one of those big tortilla warmers, which keeps them moist and fluffy.  This recipe is also good in a wrap, if you prefer.

Lastly, I usually also chop up a tomato and some cilantro to pack in with all the yummy ingredients. It's about options, people.

Altogether, this meal takes about 45 minutes to prepare and plate. Enjoy! (or order a pizza and enjoy. I won't judge. But Gram might.)

Comments

jordan.spain said…
This sounds delicious!!! Thanks for posting the recipe. Greek/mediterrean foof is a staple in our household. Can't wait for the cucumber yogurt!
madre said…
wow, wish i would have been there. my husband wishes i ever would have listened to my mother and kept him happy with a hot meal. well done! (i could go for the pie rght now too!)

Popular posts from this blog

Tidings of Comfort, Victory, and GIVEAWAYS!!!!!

1.  My Cranberry pie finally won!  After a tragic finish at an ugly sweater party, and being overshadowed by the chocolate pecan pie at Thanksgiving, my Nantucket Cranberry Pie (which I took to the next level with a chocolate cream cheese icing)  got first place at the office holiday party Top Chef competition. I am happy. 2.  I also coincidentally won a caption contest on my favorite horse blog, and for my witty mockery was awarded a gift certificate for horse tack!  As I currently don't have a horse of my own, I'm giving it to Camp K.  I hope my mother and her 3 horses, 2 mules and 2 donkeys forgive me.  But I'm still claiming victory on that one, and relishing in being mentioned on my favorite blog in the same post as my international heroes. 3. GIVEAWAY!!!!  I was inspired by a number of blogs giving away x-boxes, TVs, designer handbags, and gift cards to the moon, but I decided that you don't actually need to be rich to share the love.  Therefore, I am announc

MotherMare

There is no getting around it: I was indoctrinated at a very young age. I was the baby, and I was the last chance mom had for early imprinting of equine addition (EIEA, pronounced EEEAAAAHHHH!!!) Some people say that it's something you grow into or learn- that it can be cured, that it's a temptation or a lifestyle.  While my mother's imprinting certainly aided the illness, I can't help but feel that somehow, in someway, I was born this way.   Ergo, my equine birthday tribute to my equine mother- the best kind of tribute.     Mom, this shirt is wildly awesome, and if you still own it, you should still wear it. I think I have that hat now. Let me know when you want it back.  Little did you know then that I would steal the hat right off your head, did you?  Also, you look exactly the same. Gorgeous-like.  (also, don't be embarrassed, because I am totally about to embarrass me too, and then we're even.)   The horse that started it all. Mom won't mind that s