Skip to main content

A Q&A Blog That's Illin

There was a big debate about the word "Illin" recently in the New York Times crossword puzzle. In this case, illin is a good thing. This blog be illin. Yo. Let's move on.

What is your current obsession?
Lately I’ve had the hankering to give the bedroom portion of our new home some more life. It has some great characteristics, but as the “new” part of the house, it lacks the verve of the other rooms. I’ve recently acquired some pops of the color marigold, and I have ambitions plans to do a series of stripes in the middle of the wall to emulate the colors in the Grand Staircase National Park in Southern Utah. I need to spend some time on pinterest, methinks.

 What is your weirdest obsession?
After a long hiatus from doing it as a child, I’ve started recently to start collecting model breyer horses again. I can’t stop myself, because I am 12. No, that's not true, I can stop anytime I want. REALLY.


What are you wearing today?
I’m wearing a black dress I originally purchased to go out on the town with one of my closest girlfriends on her birthday, and a lovely white and black ¾ sleeve sweater that my sister gave me when I was visiting in Baltimore. She’s been handing me down her style for 26 years, no reason for her to stop now, right??

What's for dinner?
I think we’ll have leftover Chili that Dan made earlier in the week, and cous cous. I have some brussell sprouts that desperately need eating too.


 What would you eat for your last meal?
Ooh, this is a tough one. I guess I would hope for a last breakfast supper, so I could have eggs benedict with fried oysters, some breakfast potatoes, and a freshly squeezed glass of orange juice. That would be a wonderful way to go out.

What's the last thing you bought?
I bought two marigold velvet pillows and a marigold curtain at World Market for the bedroom. And two boxes of couscous. And a package of paella. I love world market.


What are you listening to right now?
I’ve been listening to the music on my ipod in alphabetical order since last night, a thing I love doing because it seems to be the ultimate way to take your music completely out of context. Currently I’m on Jimmi Hendrix, All Along the Watchtower. One of my favorites.

What is your favorite ice-cream flavour?
Wow, this is a british quiz! No wonder it’s so sophisticated!! I will never turn down an impeccably made Rocky Road, or a vanilla swiss almond by Haagen Daaz.


If you could have a house totally paid for, fully furnished anywhere in the world, where would you like it to be?
I think I would have to choose Granada, Spain, because while so many places in the world have been nice to visit, few places have made me yearn to live there long term the way that Granada has. The flowers, the mountains, the food, the language, the architecture. That was a city that I instantly felt at home in, and having a cozy old apartment in the city center, with a modest balcony and a little air conditioning would make me the happiest girl in all of Christendom.

 If you could go anywhere in the world for the next hour, where would you go?
I’d go to Antarctica, because it’s the one place in the world that I would love to see, but would never want to deal with the logistics of getting to. To be transported there for an hour would be so glorious, to see and feel the cold and the air there for just a fleeting second, that would be dreamy.

Which language do you want to learn?
Farsi.

What's your favorite quote?
If you haven’t checked out my Facebook Quote Wall, you are really missing out. But one of my favorites is the man I overheard in Central Park, saying in a heavy New York accent, “What I did borders on the magnificent.” I want to feel that way about everything I do.

Who do you want to meet right now?
You know, I would love to pick someone really sophisticated or profound, I mean, honestly, I imagine that meeting the Dalai Lama would be one of the more awesome things that could ever happen to a person, but I think it would be absolutely amazing to sit down and have a twenty minute chat over a hot beverage with Justin Timberlake. Or Jack Black. Someone like that who is incredibly famous but incredibly personable, so it didn’t feel like the most awkward celebrity meeting in your life.

What is your favorite colour?
Always has been and always will be cerulean blue. I don’t like to decorate with it, or even necessarily wear it, but give me a crayon box, and Imma pick that color.


What is your favorite piece of clothing in your own wardrobe?
Ooooh. Probably my very first scarf that I ever made, it’s the perfect shade of green (stolen from aimee’s collection) and, you know, I MADE IT! It’s so cool that in this day and age of cheap stuff you can buy that means nothing, I can make my own scarf.


What is your dream job?
Owning a barn full of horses of every breed, every discipline, and making enough money to provide lessons to anyone who wants to ride but can’t afford it. Actually, I’ve always wanted to have an inner city barn- to tear down a bunch of condemned row houses somewhere like Detroit and make a little place for kids to come do something totally out of their experience. That’s the dream.

What's your favourite magazine?
I can’t afford to every buy one, but I love Elle Décor.


If you had £100 now, what would you spend it on?
Pounds! How cute! What’s the exchange rate, these days? I’d probably go out for a really memorable and beautiful meal with Dan and a good friend. Maybe someone I haven’t been able to see in a long time.

Favorite designer?
I think that Marchesa’s gowns are the most artistic stunning creations on the runway, hands down.

Do you admire anyone's style?
Both of my sisters and both my sisters-in-law have lovely and unique styles. My eldest sister is great at finding really exceptional unique pieces that make an outfit special, my middle sister always has the most fabulous taste in jewelry. My sibby Lacey is always the image of sophistication and is so good at infusing color into her look, and my baby sibby Kayli has this superb collection of sleeveless cardigans that instantly makes any outfit interesting.


 Describe your personal style?
I consider my look to be tame trendy, with lots of color, and usually there is some ode to the American West or an international flair.


What's your favourite fruit?
I love mangos.

What inspires you?
Good people, doing great things.


What music do you like this week?
I just got a new album called Passenger by Lisa Hannigan. I would recommend listening to the song “knots” to get a sense of her aesthetic. Her voice and stylization is really neat.


That's all she wrote, folks. Hope you enjoyed this uber pretentious Q&A!
.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tidings of Comfort, Victory, and GIVEAWAYS!!!!!

1.  My Cranberry pie finally won!  After a tragic finish at an ugly sweater party, and being overshadowed by the chocolate pecan pie at Thanksgiving, my Nantucket Cranberry Pie (which I took to the next level with a chocolate cream cheese icing)  got first place at the office holiday party Top Chef competition. I am happy. 2.  I also coincidentally won a caption contest on my favorite horse blog, and for my witty mockery was awarded a gift certificate for horse tack!  As I currently don't have a horse of my own, I'm giving it to Camp K.  I hope my mother and her 3 horses, 2 mules and 2 donkeys forgive me.  But I'm still claiming victory on that one, and relishing in being mentioned on my favorite blog in the same post as my international heroes. 3. GIVEAWAY!!!!  I was inspired by a number of blogs giving away x-boxes, TVs, designer handbags, and gift cards to the moon, but I decided that you don't actually need to be rich to share the love.  Therefore, I am announc

MotherMare

There is no getting around it: I was indoctrinated at a very young age. I was the baby, and I was the last chance mom had for early imprinting of equine addition (EIEA, pronounced EEEAAAAHHHH!!!) Some people say that it's something you grow into or learn- that it can be cured, that it's a temptation or a lifestyle.  While my mother's imprinting certainly aided the illness, I can't help but feel that somehow, in someway, I was born this way.   Ergo, my equine birthday tribute to my equine mother- the best kind of tribute.     Mom, this shirt is wildly awesome, and if you still own it, you should still wear it. I think I have that hat now. Let me know when you want it back.  Little did you know then that I would steal the hat right off your head, did you?  Also, you look exactly the same. Gorgeous-like.  (also, don't be embarrassed, because I am totally about to embarrass me too, and then we're even.)   The horse that started it all. Mom won't mind that s