Skip to main content

Back to California: San Juan Capistrano Mission

It's been a whirlwind lately.

You know what wasn't a whirlwind? San Juan Capistrano.  It was the opposite of whirlwind. Bustling? Yes. Radiating with mariachi bands, dancing girls, and freshly made enchiladas? You bet your sweet bippy. But a whirlwind it was not.


On our way we saw little ones on their way to first communion, which is the most divine thing I've ever seen.




The original mission basilica.

The original basilica with the original best california hostess.


The original basilica with the original Amigo Bad-A. The shades. The shades kill me.

I took my camera off of automatic, y'all, and it makes your flower pictures better! (Or worse, and then worse, and then average, and then better.)


Poppies. Bury me in a field of poppies, dear progyny.


 Next to this dude. Did I say too much? 


These flowers grow upsidedown on vines and are as big as my head.


You know what's cool? This metal thing on this door.


And these bells.


They were having a mariachi band and mexican dancing troupe competition of sorts at the mission while we were there, which was awesome. I like how the horse looks like he's part of this conversation.


I just realized that I caught a photobomber from behind in this photo. It's like a reverse photobomb.

 Isn't she like a flower unto herself?!




Oh hey. That's me. Sorry about that. Also, it weirds me out to no end that the mirror makes me think my braid is always on the other side of my head. I might have to switch just so it will look right to everyone else.


I said I wasn't going to post this, but that would be cruel to you. This face is the direct result of having the sun burn my retinas. YOU'RE WELCOME.

Last but not least, I caught a picture of a lizard in middair. bam.

That's what I call a successful day at the Mission.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tidings of Comfort, Victory, and GIVEAWAYS!!!!!

1.  My Cranberry pie finally won!  After a tragic finish at an ugly sweater party, and being overshadowed by the chocolate pecan pie at Thanksgiving, my Nantucket Cranberry Pie (which I took to the next level with a chocolate cream cheese icing)  got first place at the office holiday party Top Chef competition. I am happy. 2.  I also coincidentally won a caption contest on my favorite horse blog, and for my witty mockery was awarded a gift certificate for horse tack!  As I currently don't have a horse of my own, I'm giving it to Camp K.  I hope my mother and her 3 horses, 2 mules and 2 donkeys forgive me.  But I'm still claiming victory on that one, and relishing in being mentioned on my favorite blog in the same post as my international heroes. 3. GIVEAWAY!!!!  I was inspired by a number of blogs giving away x-boxes, TVs, designer handbags, and gift cards to the moon, but I decided that you don't actually need to be rich to share the lo...

TwelveTwelveTwelve (And Night 5)

I wasn't paying attention when the clock changed. I was deep in the photos and conversation threads on Ancestry and JewishGen when the twelve o'clock hour rolled by. The number is a beautiful one, a rare one, but it's more than 12/12/12 to me today. It's the fifth night of Hanukkah. Every year, the silver menorah of partly lit candles remind me that one-eighth of me is connected to thousands of years of stories about one group of people. FYI: This is not a post about Israel and Palestine. Lucky you. It is about my search to find my family.  The man that connects me to all this, my biological grandfather, was not a part of my life, and his own life was complicated. I can't do anything in my life to reconcile that. I can't do anything to connect to him or to understand him, and I don't know that I would want to if I could.  It's funny then that it's him that connects me to this story of the Jews, this story that I want so badly to know, to und...