Skip to main content

A Moon Night

I'm going to be doing a series about California and the amazing wonderful spectacular things we did/people we saw/stuff we ate, but I thought I'd start with what was already on the camera before we left.

Dan, Dylan and I decided to drive out to the west desert for the Super Moon night and check out the universe with my new spectacularly cheap WalMart telescope. Too bad we left the lens in Eagle Mountain and had to drive back to civilization to get it. My bad.

I think it was worth it. In addition to the fabulousness which was the moon, we saw Venus, Mars, and Saturn through the magic glass, making Venus just big enough to see her crescent, and Saturn just big enough to see her rings if you held so still you had to hold your breath.  Which was, coincidentally, breathtaking.  And through a telescope, Mars is the most delicious color of peach. It makes me want to pluck it out of the sky and make a smoothie.

It took me back to a lot of beautiful nights at the ranch growing up, if only there had been bullfrogs and sprinkler sounds!

The worst picture ever taken.  


 Adventure Boots.

 Adventure Faces.


 These pictures never do a supermoon justice.

Long exposure Moon swirls.

Long exposure traffic.

Comments

Unknown said…
great photos! All of them!

Popular posts from this blog

Tidings of Comfort, Victory, and GIVEAWAYS!!!!!

1.  My Cranberry pie finally won!  After a tragic finish at an ugly sweater party, and being overshadowed by the chocolate pecan pie at Thanksgiving, my Nantucket Cranberry Pie (which I took to the next level with a chocolate cream cheese icing)  got first place at the office holiday party Top Chef competition. I am happy. 2.  I also coincidentally won a caption contest on my favorite horse blog, and for my witty mockery was awarded a gift certificate for horse tack!  As I currently don't have a horse of my own, I'm giving it to Camp K.  I hope my mother and her 3 horses, 2 mules and 2 donkeys forgive me.  But I'm still claiming victory on that one, and relishing in being mentioned on my favorite blog in the same post as my international heroes. 3. GIVEAWAY!!!!  I was inspired by a number of blogs giving away x-boxes, TVs, designer handbags, and gift cards to the moon, but I decided that you don't actually need to be rich to share the lo...

TwelveTwelveTwelve (And Night 5)

I wasn't paying attention when the clock changed. I was deep in the photos and conversation threads on Ancestry and JewishGen when the twelve o'clock hour rolled by. The number is a beautiful one, a rare one, but it's more than 12/12/12 to me today. It's the fifth night of Hanukkah. Every year, the silver menorah of partly lit candles remind me that one-eighth of me is connected to thousands of years of stories about one group of people. FYI: This is not a post about Israel and Palestine. Lucky you. It is about my search to find my family.  The man that connects me to all this, my biological grandfather, was not a part of my life, and his own life was complicated. I can't do anything in my life to reconcile that. I can't do anything to connect to him or to understand him, and I don't know that I would want to if I could.  It's funny then that it's him that connects me to this story of the Jews, this story that I want so badly to know, to und...