Skip to main content

Do Ask, Do Tell.

No one here should be shocked to learn that I am saddened by recent comments made in General Conference. I didn’t expect a terribly different message from the church, necessarily, I am not shocked by this position, and I respect the Church’s right to set its own guidelines for things like Temple Recommends, a process that I have for many years personally and respectfully chosen to opt out of. I have nothing but love and admiration for those who adhere to those guidelines, choose a faithful life, and who aspire to a life in continual communion with the church. That is a beautiful thing. Different from my thing, but absolutely beautiful.



I respectfully take issue with the notion put forth by President Packer from his position of religious authority that he knows without a doubt that no one is born with homosexual tendencies, his reasoning being “Why would our Heavenly Father do that to anyone?” This reasoning seems to me to go against all the things that I know of God. It seems to me that God makes us all sorts of ways, and frankly does all sorts of things “to” us. He takes babies from mothers, he takes mothers from children, he gives people genetic dispositions to alcoholism, he gives people genetic dispositions to be brilliant savants at one thing and tragically weak at other things. Assuming God is intimately involved with each and every one of us on our path, God does a great many things that we cannot always understand. Some people’s paths seem so much harder than ours, and some people’s so much easier. And that is why God asks us not to judge others, and in fact, not even to judge ourselves, but to leave the judgment to him and him alone.



I have been incredibly, deeply, remarkably thankful to have Dan as my companion, who is loved and accepted and praised (“thank you for loving our crazy Lorraine!”) by my friends and family. I have been so lucky that the love that I was seeking was one so quickly accepted and appreciated by those around me (except some of my DC friends who CANNOT FATHOM falling in love and entering into marriage so quickly, to the point that some of them ceased their friendship with me).


I cannot imagine the road that others must walk in this regard, but I fervently hope that we all show love and welcome no matter the circumstance, and that no matter the reason they are this way, whether born to it, or coping with life through it, or making peace with it, we find joy in the fact that there is love in this world, and people willing to share it. And if by some random chance there is a questioning or open Mormon LGBTQ individual reading this digital spattering of stuff being tossed into the internets, know that you are LOVED, and that your beautiful, extraordinary, unique and powerful soul is worth more to God than a single mortal girl could ever express, in a million blogs over a million lifetimes.

Comments

Daniel T said…
well said. this debate needs more voices like yours. love, respect, and restraint are truly christ-like qualities that have been unfortunately absent during the last couple of weeks.
Unknown said…
Well said. Mucho love!

Popular posts from this blog

Tidings of Comfort, Victory, and GIVEAWAYS!!!!!

1.  My Cranberry pie finally won!  After a tragic finish at an ugly sweater party, and being overshadowed by the chocolate pecan pie at Thanksgiving, my Nantucket Cranberry Pie (which I took to the next level with a chocolate cream cheese icing)  got first place at the office holiday party Top Chef competition. I am happy. 2.  I also coincidentally won a caption contest on my favorite horse blog, and for my witty mockery was awarded a gift certificate for horse tack!  As I currently don't have a horse of my own, I'm giving it to Camp K.  I hope my mother and her 3 horses, 2 mules and 2 donkeys forgive me.  But I'm still claiming victory on that one, and relishing in being mentioned on my favorite blog in the same post as my international heroes. 3. GIVEAWAY!!!!  I was inspired by a number of blogs giving away x-boxes, TVs, designer handbags, and gift cards to the moon, but I decided that you don't actually need to be rich to share the love.  Therefore, I am announc

MotherMare

There is no getting around it: I was indoctrinated at a very young age. I was the baby, and I was the last chance mom had for early imprinting of equine addition (EIEA, pronounced EEEAAAAHHHH!!!) Some people say that it's something you grow into or learn- that it can be cured, that it's a temptation or a lifestyle.  While my mother's imprinting certainly aided the illness, I can't help but feel that somehow, in someway, I was born this way.   Ergo, my equine birthday tribute to my equine mother- the best kind of tribute.     Mom, this shirt is wildly awesome, and if you still own it, you should still wear it. I think I have that hat now. Let me know when you want it back.  Little did you know then that I would steal the hat right off your head, did you?  Also, you look exactly the same. Gorgeous-like.  (also, don't be embarrassed, because I am totally about to embarrass me too, and then we're even.)   The horse that started it all. Mom won't mind that s