Skip to main content

WorkHouseThoughts

WORK.
I'm scrambling to get this post in during my lunch break because it has been so long. My posts have had to become less regular as I now am in a position which requires me to do real and rewarding work from 8-5. This requirement is nothing short of absolutely wonderful. For the first time since my long ago posts at the Committee on Foreign Affairs, I feel like I am doing something special, challenging, and rewarding. I have great expectations and responsibilities on me, but I also have coworkers and superiors who are thoughtfully guiding me towards not only being an effective employee for today, but for forever. They’ve invested in my knowledge, education, and satisfaction. They’ve provided me a bigger picture of WHY I do the things I do, and not just how. Really, I feel like by total accident I fell into a field that I am not just making a living in, but really that I’m thriving in, and putting all my skills and abilities to use. I AM USEFUL!!!! Beautiful words to my soul. I have officially upgraded from TV Sets made before 1987 and John Wilkes Booth's hands. I am useful.
I am so happy to be doing the work I’m doing, and I can actually picture myself staying put for a good long while and reaping the benefits of working for the Uvinersity of Uhat for a long time. PHEW!


HOUSE.
We bought a house! (pictures soon, promise). We closed on our 11 month anniversary, and last night Danny bought me a fancy sky-blue key with 2 little birds on it; the key that opens our nest! I’m enamored with this house more and more every time I see it (especially as it gets more clean, more painted, more liveable, more ours.) Once we get in carpets and paint the last room, we can start moving in.

THOUGHTS.
Owning a house is scary. It doesn’t make me more grown up, it just makes me more permanent on the earth. I’ve prided myself on my ability to flee and build anew, and suddenly I’m married, in a house with a mortgage, and working at a job I can actually picture myself keeping. And that’s freaky, until I apply the really wonderful thing I heard this morning.

Today at a work meeting, a really remarkable individual from our med school came to speak to us, and he remarked, in quite simple terms, that “It’s not what you do , it’s what you learn from what you do that makes the difference.” In the context of ambitious doctoral students who buff their resumes for show or garner experiences to stretch their minds and hearts, you can see how true it is for them, and I see how true it could be for me. Yes, I could (and have) have life altering moments on the other side of the world, but every day of my everyday life is a chance to learn something from what I’m doing. In short, I feel like building stability around me may be what I need to let my own little emotional innards do some proper wandering. My feet are calloused enough for now from my weary life wanderings, and now I get to put some miles on my heart. It feels right. Most of the time :)

Comments

Unknown said…
that is so great! and sorry ive not given these awesome photos back to you yet! im so bad!
Alissa King said…
"I get to put some miles on my heart"

Lorraine! I'm swooning over that line. I'm going to sew it for you. Like right now, I'm not kidding. Bye.

Popular posts from this blog

Tidings of Comfort, Victory, and GIVEAWAYS!!!!!

1.  My Cranberry pie finally won!  After a tragic finish at an ugly sweater party, and being overshadowed by the chocolate pecan pie at Thanksgiving, my Nantucket Cranberry Pie (which I took to the next level with a chocolate cream cheese icing)  got first place at the office holiday party Top Chef competition. I am happy. 2.  I also coincidentally won a caption contest on my favorite horse blog, and for my witty mockery was awarded a gift certificate for horse tack!  As I currently don't have a horse of my own, I'm giving it to Camp K.  I hope my mother and her 3 horses, 2 mules and 2 donkeys forgive me.  But I'm still claiming victory on that one, and relishing in being mentioned on my favorite blog in the same post as my international heroes. 3. GIVEAWAY!!!!  I was inspired by a number of blogs giving away x-boxes, TVs, designer handbags, and gift cards to the moon, but I decided that you don't actually need to be rich to share the love.  Therefore, I am announc

MotherMare

There is no getting around it: I was indoctrinated at a very young age. I was the baby, and I was the last chance mom had for early imprinting of equine addition (EIEA, pronounced EEEAAAAHHHH!!!) Some people say that it's something you grow into or learn- that it can be cured, that it's a temptation or a lifestyle.  While my mother's imprinting certainly aided the illness, I can't help but feel that somehow, in someway, I was born this way.   Ergo, my equine birthday tribute to my equine mother- the best kind of tribute.     Mom, this shirt is wildly awesome, and if you still own it, you should still wear it. I think I have that hat now. Let me know when you want it back.  Little did you know then that I would steal the hat right off your head, did you?  Also, you look exactly the same. Gorgeous-like.  (also, don't be embarrassed, because I am totally about to embarrass me too, and then we're even.)   The horse that started it all. Mom won't mind that s