Skip to main content

A Moon Night

I'm going to be doing a series about California and the amazing wonderful spectacular things we did/people we saw/stuff we ate, but I thought I'd start with what was already on the camera before we left.

Dan, Dylan and I decided to drive out to the west desert for the Super Moon night and check out the universe with my new spectacularly cheap WalMart telescope. Too bad we left the lens in Eagle Mountain and had to drive back to civilization to get it. My bad.

I think it was worth it. In addition to the fabulousness which was the moon, we saw Venus, Mars, and Saturn through the magic glass, making Venus just big enough to see her crescent, and Saturn just big enough to see her rings if you held so still you had to hold your breath.  Which was, coincidentally, breathtaking.  And through a telescope, Mars is the most delicious color of peach. It makes me want to pluck it out of the sky and make a smoothie.

It took me back to a lot of beautiful nights at the ranch growing up, if only there had been bullfrogs and sprinkler sounds!

The worst picture ever taken.  


 Adventure Boots.

 Adventure Faces.


 These pictures never do a supermoon justice.

Long exposure Moon swirls.

Long exposure traffic.

Comments

Unknown said…
great photos! All of them!

Popular posts from this blog

Tidings of Comfort, Victory, and GIVEAWAYS!!!!!

1.  My Cranberry pie finally won!  After a tragic finish at an ugly sweater party, and being overshadowed by the chocolate pecan pie at Thanksgiving, my Nantucket Cranberry Pie (which I took to the next level with a chocolate cream cheese icing)  got first place at the office holiday party Top Chef competition. I am happy. 2.  I also coincidentally won a caption contest on my favorite horse blog, and for my witty mockery was awarded a gift certificate for horse tack!  As I currently don't have a horse of my own, I'm giving it to Camp K.  I hope my mother and her 3 horses, 2 mules and 2 donkeys forgive me.  But I'm still claiming victory on that one, and relishing in being mentioned on my favorite blog in the same post as my international heroes. 3. GIVEAWAY!!!!  I was inspired by a number of blogs giving away x-boxes, TVs, designer handbags, and gift cards to the moon, but I decided that you don't actually need to be rich to share the love.  Therefore, I am announc

MotherMare

There is no getting around it: I was indoctrinated at a very young age. I was the baby, and I was the last chance mom had for early imprinting of equine addition (EIEA, pronounced EEEAAAAHHHH!!!) Some people say that it's something you grow into or learn- that it can be cured, that it's a temptation or a lifestyle.  While my mother's imprinting certainly aided the illness, I can't help but feel that somehow, in someway, I was born this way.   Ergo, my equine birthday tribute to my equine mother- the best kind of tribute.     Mom, this shirt is wildly awesome, and if you still own it, you should still wear it. I think I have that hat now. Let me know when you want it back.  Little did you know then that I would steal the hat right off your head, did you?  Also, you look exactly the same. Gorgeous-like.  (also, don't be embarrassed, because I am totally about to embarrass me too, and then we're even.)   The horse that started it all. Mom won't mind that s