Skip to main content

LorraineinSpookySpain

Halloween is my favorite holiday. The buildup, the anticipation, the creativity, the dark underpinnings, the cheap and industrious ingenuity required to make a costume...I love it all.  Costume inventions are always the cherry of my Autumnal Sundae- I have never bought a complete costume, and except for the very poor pajamas I made in 8th grade (should the crotch be at the knees like that?) and a pillow I made last week (thanks, Sibby!), I cannot sew. So I usually end up going through the box of bizarre things I own and taking a trip to D.I. to find whatever I don't have to make a costume which is usually so hodge podge and obscure that most people have no idea what I am.  This year will probably be no exception.

As a kid I used to be really into the dead person costumes and scary costumes (dead bride, medusa, skeleton), and then in college I tried to be "cute" (a harajuku girl, the statue of liberty, a gypsy, and once I was "fall break" which involved covering myself in fake leaves and wearing a sling, haha), but now that I am old and married, my love of dress-up has morphed into these strange homages to history. Last year I was Frida Kahlo, which I still don't feel was properly appreciated for all its awesomeness. It was uncanny. And the year before, Daniel agreed to go as The Hindenburg with a tinfoil hat and me as a dead passenger. That was a good one.

Halloween 2004 

 Halloween 2005

 Halloween 2006


 Halloween 2007

 Halloween 2009 Yes, yes I did reuse my gypsy costume. Thank you for noticing.

Halloween 2010 

Halloween 2011

This year is no exception, and while I went back and forth between two great women, D.I. made my choice for me when the perfect items presented themselves to me. I don't want to spoil the surprise (you're on the edge of your seat, I KNOW), but here is a hint from her personal journal:


"Another dry Meeting for Worship. Sometimes I feel that I would just as soon shoot myself before sitting through another such. Friend Methuselah Mills stood and spoke during Meeting – again. Why must he speak every Firstday??? And toss that infernal coin up in the air over and over whilst speaking? If I had my .22 I’d shoot that thing right out of the air. Hmmm, that gives me an idea…"

(This post may seem early, but one of my besties is throwing her annual ghoulish shindig on Saturday, where my costume shall be revealed.  GET. EXCITED.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tidings of Comfort, Victory, and GIVEAWAYS!!!!!

1.  My Cranberry pie finally won!  After a tragic finish at an ugly sweater party, and being overshadowed by the chocolate pecan pie at Thanksgiving, my Nantucket Cranberry Pie (which I took to the next level with a chocolate cream cheese icing)  got first place at the office holiday party Top Chef competition. I am happy. 2.  I also coincidentally won a caption contest on my favorite horse blog, and for my witty mockery was awarded a gift certificate for horse tack!  As I currently don't have a horse of my own, I'm giving it to Camp K.  I hope my mother and her 3 horses, 2 mules and 2 donkeys forgive me.  But I'm still claiming victory on that one, and relishing in being mentioned on my favorite blog in the same post as my international heroes. 3. GIVEAWAY!!!!  I was inspired by a number of blogs giving away x-boxes, TVs, designer handbags, and gift cards to the moon, but I decided that you don't actually need to be rich to share the love.  Therefore, I am announc

MotherMare

There is no getting around it: I was indoctrinated at a very young age. I was the baby, and I was the last chance mom had for early imprinting of equine addition (EIEA, pronounced EEEAAAAHHHH!!!) Some people say that it's something you grow into or learn- that it can be cured, that it's a temptation or a lifestyle.  While my mother's imprinting certainly aided the illness, I can't help but feel that somehow, in someway, I was born this way.   Ergo, my equine birthday tribute to my equine mother- the best kind of tribute.     Mom, this shirt is wildly awesome, and if you still own it, you should still wear it. I think I have that hat now. Let me know when you want it back.  Little did you know then that I would steal the hat right off your head, did you?  Also, you look exactly the same. Gorgeous-like.  (also, don't be embarrassed, because I am totally about to embarrass me too, and then we're even.)   The horse that started it all. Mom won't mind that s