Skip to main content

VinReTique

If you’ve known me for any length of time, you’re familiar with the fact that I am somewhere between an extremely drab and plain dresser, and an abhorrently odd and overly colorful dresser. I’m not sure that much of anything in my closet is especially flattering, trendy, or well matched.




And yet, I am tragically attached to nearly all of it. This is most especially true of everything that’s retro or vintage. When I was a sophomore in college, I bought this brown leather purse at a second hand store ($9), and that purse has subsequently been to every country I’ve been to, and I actually can’t picture my passport anywhere but in that ONE pocket of that purse. Best of all, it’s super ugly, and yet somehow I still get compliments on it regularly.  It was also regularly paired with my my tan London Fog raincoat ($11) from Moxi, a delightful vintage store that no longer exists.  Proof:





There’s a peach skirt in that closet that’s polyester, handmade, and probably from the early 70’s ($13). The best thing about it? There are silky shorts under it sewn right in, thus making it the greatest skirt in the world.



I’ve worn a number of vintage dresses, the Lime Green Chiffon Toga ($19) the Blue Hippie Dress with white embroidery ($7. NO REALLY.) the emerald green number off of ebay ($23 with shipping) The pink floor length slip dress ($28)



So it only seemed appropriate that while my wedding dress is new and my accessories to it will be new, all much too paradoxical to my old fashioned wedding, for my engagements I will be wearing the most darling vintage black jacket, purchased today at Decades for one of my most abhorrent thrift shop totals thus far, $22. But trust me when I say, it was worth it. Eventually I will look at it in my closet against my variety of desperate attempts to impress some boys (Dan likes me in TEESHIRTS!) but mostly other girls, and know that, just like all the others, it was the impulsive, impractical, and utterly charming.

The reason I bother writing this is because in Washington DC, this was NOT a part of my life. I was often complimented for my colorful choices (that city is full of drab grey dressers) but with the exception of the divine peach pencil skirt, I never wore or shopped vintage. In Washington DC, the second hand shops are designer, couture, totally uninteresting. Like so many parts of my life, little dormant pockets of personality and electricity sparked back to life in this silly beehive. In more ways than one, that little black jacket is reclaimation.

Comments

Daniel T said…
It is true, you look great in T-shirts. Ha ha. Your other clothes are pretty too. You know what? You make everything look good.

Popular posts from this blog

Tidings of Comfort, Victory, and GIVEAWAYS!!!!!

1.  My Cranberry pie finally won!  After a tragic finish at an ugly sweater party, and being overshadowed by the chocolate pecan pie at Thanksgiving, my Nantucket Cranberry Pie (which I took to the next level with a chocolate cream cheese icing)  got first place at the office holiday party Top Chef competition. I am happy. 2.  I also coincidentally won a caption contest on my favorite horse blog, and for my witty mockery was awarded a gift certificate for horse tack!  As I currently don't have a horse of my own, I'm giving it to Camp K.  I hope my mother and her 3 horses, 2 mules and 2 donkeys forgive me.  But I'm still claiming victory on that one, and relishing in being mentioned on my favorite blog in the same post as my international heroes. 3. GIVEAWAY!!!!  I was inspired by a number of blogs giving away x-boxes, TVs, designer handbags, and gift cards to the moon, but I decided that you don't actually need to be rich to share the love.  Therefore, I am announc

MotherMare

There is no getting around it: I was indoctrinated at a very young age. I was the baby, and I was the last chance mom had for early imprinting of equine addition (EIEA, pronounced EEEAAAAHHHH!!!) Some people say that it's something you grow into or learn- that it can be cured, that it's a temptation or a lifestyle.  While my mother's imprinting certainly aided the illness, I can't help but feel that somehow, in someway, I was born this way.   Ergo, my equine birthday tribute to my equine mother- the best kind of tribute.     Mom, this shirt is wildly awesome, and if you still own it, you should still wear it. I think I have that hat now. Let me know when you want it back.  Little did you know then that I would steal the hat right off your head, did you?  Also, you look exactly the same. Gorgeous-like.  (also, don't be embarrassed, because I am totally about to embarrass me too, and then we're even.)   The horse that started it all. Mom won't mind that s