Skip to main content

Roommates Round #6

In a shocking twist of fate, my same friend who hooked me up with the GREATEST group of girls in Arlington has hooked me up with the very last group of girls I will ever live with, this time in dear wonderful Sugarhouse Salt Lake City. This friend, let’s call him, Veep, has never led me astray. I once worked on a campaign of his years and years ago, which he won, and he has been paying for it dearly ever since by doing me perpetual favors that I uniquivocally never could have done myself. From helping me move to going to my surgery to being a constantly good source of advice and stability, Veep has been there. From my earliest days in college, and he’s going to feel old when I say this, he has always been like sort of a second father to me. A really cool father you want to go on crazy adventures with. But I digress.
It is shocking to me after 6 years of living with all sorts of random people, I’ve always been incredibly lucky in the roommate department. Moving in with friends, moving in with strangers, moving in with distant acquaintances, I have always completely lucked out and can honestly say that I am still friends with nearly every one of them.

Jordanian Blossom and I are getting married within a WEEK of each other.

Shadijoon and I just went shooting together.

 Hannah Hussein and I email each other pretty regularly, and would be soulmates even if we never spoke again (I love friends like those)

 Josephine and I just met up in her GRAND new home of New York City

And my once all very single gal pals from DC and I all just shared our respective engagement stories over lunch.


These girls were so much more than people I shared living space with. They were women who shared their souls, and bore my temper, and lightened my load. They made me food, made me laugh, and let me cry. They learned how to give me my space when it was necessary, and pile on the the love when I needed it.
I can honestly say that the Object of my Affection incapsulates so much of what I loved about these women, I have not even the smallest doubt that he will be my favorite roommate of all. But to that note, I am genuinely glad that I have one more shot at that feeling of sisterhood and communal womanly life which is so sacred and sweet, so irreverent and hilarious, and such a part of the woman I am today and the wife I will be. Cheers to that, my dear sisters, wherever you are.

Comments

Alissa King said…
I actually think I was your first roommate, and I can vouch for what an excellent Cinderella you are... until you wanted to go to the ball and we would start a different game.

Popular posts from this blog

Tidings of Comfort, Victory, and GIVEAWAYS!!!!!

1.  My Cranberry pie finally won!  After a tragic finish at an ugly sweater party, and being overshadowed by the chocolate pecan pie at Thanksgiving, my Nantucket Cranberry Pie (which I took to the next level with a chocolate cream cheese icing)  got first place at the office holiday party Top Chef competition. I am happy. 2.  I also coincidentally won a caption contest on my favorite horse blog, and for my witty mockery was awarded a gift certificate for horse tack!  As I currently don't have a horse of my own, I'm giving it to Camp K.  I hope my mother and her 3 horses, 2 mules and 2 donkeys forgive me.  But I'm still claiming victory on that one, and relishing in being mentioned on my favorite blog in the same post as my international heroes. 3. GIVEAWAY!!!!  I was inspired by a number of blogs giving away x-boxes, TVs, designer handbags, and gift cards to the moon, but I decided that you don't actually need to be rich to share the love.  Therefore, I am announc

MotherMare

There is no getting around it: I was indoctrinated at a very young age. I was the baby, and I was the last chance mom had for early imprinting of equine addition (EIEA, pronounced EEEAAAAHHHH!!!) Some people say that it's something you grow into or learn- that it can be cured, that it's a temptation or a lifestyle.  While my mother's imprinting certainly aided the illness, I can't help but feel that somehow, in someway, I was born this way.   Ergo, my equine birthday tribute to my equine mother- the best kind of tribute.     Mom, this shirt is wildly awesome, and if you still own it, you should still wear it. I think I have that hat now. Let me know when you want it back.  Little did you know then that I would steal the hat right off your head, did you?  Also, you look exactly the same. Gorgeous-like.  (also, don't be embarrassed, because I am totally about to embarrass me too, and then we're even.)   The horse that started it all. Mom won't mind that s