Skip to main content

Some Thoughts on Pants

When I was in 8th grade, they had a "career day" at my middle school, where students were invited to come dressed up as the profession that they aspired to.  At North Sanpete Middle School, this meant there were a lot of people dressed in overalls (farmers or mechanics) or in belt buckles (bull riders) or in scrubs, which was by far the coolest thing to come dressed in.  There were a few teachers and a mightly number of ambitious 6th Spice Girls or solo country singers. 

Enter me, wearing knee boots, breeches, a hunt coat and a number pinned to my back.  It might as well have been a target on my back at that school, but I was not, nor would I ever be a victim of Ophelia Syndrome, and never resorted to anyone making me a sheep (real sheep in sanpete=good thing, 7th graders as sheep= bad thing) and wore my abhorrently tight grey pants with pride. For about an hour.  Then I sort of wished that career day would become "moroni turkey plant blew the town circuit again, go home early" day.  

All day long I seemed to confuse my schoolmates about what I was, fully outed myself as a prissy horse geek, and most importantly to a 13 year old, disgraced fashion by abandoning the only 2 brand of pants accepted in 1999 at my school, Wranglers and JNCOs. 

















It may have been the memories of that day which led me to closet my equine passions for a mighty eight years until my college job at A.A. Callisters.  You had to know a girl like my boss, Sam-- who made Fatbaby Cowboy Boots and studded lime green belt buckles look like high fashion and who could tell you the difference between every liniment and supplement Callisters sold-- to remember that loving horses is COOL. 

Fast forward to 2011, and the invention of Jeggings.  Suddenly, my tight pants with pockets, tucked into tall boots is totally the thing to do.  Vogue is covered in these painfully funny ads of skinny models with stuffed horses trying to look "equestrian" but actually looking uncomfortable.  But their discomfort is my vindication.



























My mother recently bought me these pants for riding in, but I have no doubt I could wear these to the office on Casual Fridays with a pair of tall boots and make a real running in "Casual Friday Fashion Queen of the Day." PLEASE LET THIS FAD LAST FOR FOREVER AND NOT BE A FAD!!!!

 























The only question remaining is, do I need to scrape the mud and manure off my boots and jeggings for it to count as fashionable?   




Happy Monday, Y'all.

Comments

jordan.spain said…
I was one of the scrub wearing kids.
Daniel T said…
I would have dressed homeless, just to spite everyone.
Tiff said…
totally love your posts!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Tidings of Comfort, Victory, and GIVEAWAYS!!!!!

1.  My Cranberry pie finally won!  After a tragic finish at an ugly sweater party, and being overshadowed by the chocolate pecan pie at Thanksgiving, my Nantucket Cranberry Pie (which I took to the next level with a chocolate cream cheese icing)  got first place at the office holiday party Top Chef competition. I am happy. 2.  I also coincidentally won a caption contest on my favorite horse blog, and for my witty mockery was awarded a gift certificate for horse tack!  As I currently don't have a horse of my own, I'm giving it to Camp K.  I hope my mother and her 3 horses, 2 mules and 2 donkeys forgive me.  But I'm still claiming victory on that one, and relishing in being mentioned on my favorite blog in the same post as my international heroes. 3. GIVEAWAY!!!!  I was inspired by a number of blogs giving away x-boxes, TVs, designer handbags, and gift cards to the moon, but I decided that you don't actually need to be rich to share the love.  Therefore, I am announc

MotherMare

There is no getting around it: I was indoctrinated at a very young age. I was the baby, and I was the last chance mom had for early imprinting of equine addition (EIEA, pronounced EEEAAAAHHHH!!!) Some people say that it's something you grow into or learn- that it can be cured, that it's a temptation or a lifestyle.  While my mother's imprinting certainly aided the illness, I can't help but feel that somehow, in someway, I was born this way.   Ergo, my equine birthday tribute to my equine mother- the best kind of tribute.     Mom, this shirt is wildly awesome, and if you still own it, you should still wear it. I think I have that hat now. Let me know when you want it back.  Little did you know then that I would steal the hat right off your head, did you?  Also, you look exactly the same. Gorgeous-like.  (also, don't be embarrassed, because I am totally about to embarrass me too, and then we're even.)   The horse that started it all. Mom won't mind that s