Skip to main content

DayLIFE Savings Time

An extra hour every evening of daylight devoted not to sitting at a desk but to moving in the sunshine is all the excuse I needed to see my life differently. Dan and I took a walk last night AFTER dinner, which is a glorious gift from nature. I'm eagerly awaiting the day I can get my coaster bike tuned up and take an evening ride in the rising temperatures, and just knowing that's an impending reality makes me a happier bear.

Because Dan's car didn't pass inspection, we had to get a new car- Dan gets my darling red Elantra, and I get a white Hyundai Accent. None of that is remotely interesting to you, so sorry for making you read that. But it's the foreshadowing of what I will now grace you with, an ode to my YSAA: Young Single Adult Automobile.

Dearest YSAA:

I ran you into a telephone pole on my birthday in a snowstorm a week after I got you. You sought revenge by setting off the car alarm for no reason every night at 3am for about a week. It was then I knew we'd be fast friends.  I like a car with some sass.


Brand Spanking New, Winter 2006


That wasn't even the worst of our thrills and spills. You got rear ended by a drunk driver while you were street parked, and then I took care of your other end when I rear ended a van carrying a fully costumed Mariachi Band. I still see that van around the valley once in awhile, and it always makes me think of you. And what an idiot I am.

I have fallen in love twice while staring across your roomy consol, talking long into the days and nights. Beautifully, splendidly, perfectly, you only had to see my heart get broken once, since I married the other guy. And you were witness to all of it. With you go some of my fondest and also some of my lamest moments.


Actually, this was a fond moment, even though we are lame in it.


You have heard me sing to every song on my iPod, for which I can't apologize enough. You have heard me rant at NPR during the GOP debates, to which I say, you are welcome, World's Most Properly Educated Car.

But really, dear YSAA, I think we were at our best in Virginia. We drove and sang our way up and down the mid-atlantic, explored battlefields, small towns, barns, beaches, and forests. My life in DC was infinitely better after you arrived, and driving from coast to coast with you when it was all over was easily one of the greatest adventures and spiritual journeys of my life.


Crossing America, life in tow.


Feeling Gleeish at a Virginia horse event. YIKES.


Also, you owe me $141 for the speeding ticket to Ocean City. TOTALLY YOUR FAULT.

Your first owner, who loves and adores you like a personified human being, or at the very least a naughty but charming pet,

Lorraine





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tidings of Comfort, Victory, and GIVEAWAYS!!!!!

1.  My Cranberry pie finally won!  After a tragic finish at an ugly sweater party, and being overshadowed by the chocolate pecan pie at Thanksgiving, my Nantucket Cranberry Pie (which I took to the next level with a chocolate cream cheese icing)  got first place at the office holiday party Top Chef competition. I am happy. 2.  I also coincidentally won a caption contest on my favorite horse blog, and for my witty mockery was awarded a gift certificate for horse tack!  As I currently don't have a horse of my own, I'm giving it to Camp K.  I hope my mother and her 3 horses, 2 mules and 2 donkeys forgive me.  But I'm still claiming victory on that one, and relishing in being mentioned on my favorite blog in the same post as my international heroes. 3. GIVEAWAY!!!!  I was inspired by a number of blogs giving away x-boxes, TVs, designer handbags, and gift cards to the moon, but I decided that you don't actually need to be rich to share the love.  Therefore, I am announc

MotherMare

There is no getting around it: I was indoctrinated at a very young age. I was the baby, and I was the last chance mom had for early imprinting of equine addition (EIEA, pronounced EEEAAAAHHHH!!!) Some people say that it's something you grow into or learn- that it can be cured, that it's a temptation or a lifestyle.  While my mother's imprinting certainly aided the illness, I can't help but feel that somehow, in someway, I was born this way.   Ergo, my equine birthday tribute to my equine mother- the best kind of tribute.     Mom, this shirt is wildly awesome, and if you still own it, you should still wear it. I think I have that hat now. Let me know when you want it back.  Little did you know then that I would steal the hat right off your head, did you?  Also, you look exactly the same. Gorgeous-like.  (also, don't be embarrassed, because I am totally about to embarrass me too, and then we're even.)   The horse that started it all. Mom won't mind that s